Friday, July 24, 2009

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

I can see the headlines now, writer haunted by unfinished manuscript goes crazy on I-17! I don't know what it is with me and Red Planet Revolt. No matter what I'm doing, something about that book comes up.

I was driving down I-17 the other day, windows open (significant because it is usually too hot for that at this time of year), just watching the madness that occurs near the Durango Curve, minding my own business, trying not to be run over by someone in a vehicle larger than mine (which is almost everyone), and there is that story going around in my mind - relentless.

If you're a fan of personification, that ms could have been sitting in the passenger seat just talking itself blue in the face. If I had a tape recorder handy, I could have dictated the whole manuscript right then and there.

The thing is, that is not the ms I'm working on, nor is it the one I'm supposed to be working on.

Today I went online to check my email, which I do about four times a day. There it is on the opening screen of AOL (America On Line), yep as big as life - a science article that fits perfectly with the gum drop shaped aliens from the red planet.

http://news.aol.com/article/humans-glow/584160?icid=main

I think I'll go to Prescott next week to hide from this Red Planet Revolt ms and write on Act Like You Mean It, like I'm suppose to be doing.

6 comments:

  1. Nope, you are supposed to be writing about the Red Planet. The Universe is telling you something.
    The same thing happened to me. I was halfway through one book and the idea for a book I had written last year and put aside came to me in its entirety. So, I put the ms I was working on aside and started writing this other book and I'm having so much more fun. I will go back to the other book when this one is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, my friend, good advice. Will do.

    Must talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Write what you are thinking - sounds like RPR wants to shake its fist and get heard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Anon...but at the Durango Curve? Scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prescott ??!! That place is full of aliens and bikers ! You should get lots of inspiration there for your ms. Maybe you could write about biker aliens !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsha, I have missed you! How is England? You are missing a mild summer (by our standards). The week you were here was one of the worst. We are having June weather now.

    I've never been to Prescott, might be fun! Lots of cowboys up there too, so I hear. They wear tight jeans and big hats and have an easy smile. (My dad was a cowboy.)

    ReplyDelete