Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cactus Rain news

Before the press release goes out about the launch of our boutique publishing company, I thought I'd mention it looks like we might be ahead of schedule on the publication of our debut book, The Doctor, The Plutocrat, and The Mendacious Minister.

Author Glyn Pope gets the credit for the title. I admit, I wasn't sure I'd ever get the spelling right, much less say it without getting my tongue twisted after months of calling it "Doc."

Glyn is quite brave to go with an unknown publisher. Even more daring is to try a new system where there are no royalties. Yes, that's right. No royalties.

With Cactus Rain the author gets all the income above expenses. By our calculations, that should equate to more than royalties would normally work out. Expenses are set and except for pre-agreed upon unusual expenses, there will be no surprises to any of us.

How's that for a novel idea?

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your idea sounds a good one. I wish you and Glyn good luck for the future.

    When you are ready I will feature you on my blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a documentary about Chris Blackwell last night. Chris founded Island records in the UK. He obviously was interested in making money, but not in the big corporate way. It wasn't a priority.
    By 1972 he had every significant band in the UK on Island records; Fairport, Traffic, Free, King Crimson, Roxy Music, Cat Stevens, Bob Marley and the very talented Nick Drake. Nick is a case in point. He made 4 or 5 albums. They sold badly. And then sadly he died. But Blackwell kept him on the rosta because of his talent. Since then Drake has become legend and sold millions.
    Later it was U2, Sparks and Grace Jones and a host of others.
    Blackwell was interested in creativity and knew first hand who his artists were. Took a hand in producing their work. It was said in the documentary that groups/artists wanted to be signed by Island, not for the cash, but because of what Island represented as a label. The publishing industry could do with this attitude. Nadine said the other day something like, 'I will be looking for the gems that publishers reject.' It would be wonderful if Cactus Rain became the island, the refuge, for quality work and recognised as such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the upcoming launch of Cactus Rain Publishing.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I met with one of my advisors yesterday and have her encouragement for some of the ideas for the future. I am aiming for quality.

    Thanks Glynis. I'll need lots of help to get the word out to readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a novel idea Nadine - please excuse the pun. I wish you every success and I will keep a eye out for new titles. Love the name too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anita, I was hoping someone got the pun. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete