Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What's next?

For those who emailed asking if I was "okay," thank you and yes. I'm fine. If I wasn't, I'd be the first to do something about it. Work is taking far more of my time and energy than I anticipated.

Quite frankly I'm not sure what else to do with this blog. I like teaching, but I don't feel I'm a total expert on the subject of writing (or anything else). I write a type of fiction that isn't all that popular with publishers; literary and in first person present tense. Yes, I'm a fairly good writer and I know a lot, but so do a lot of other people.

I'm not sure what is interesting or useful to my blog readers. I know time is precious and if you're going to read my blog, I owe you my best -- which is damn little at the moment. So I need to hear from you either in the comments or in an email what you like and want for First Draft.

One thing I thought of doing, but never would, is to start a blind blog and blog about work. But since I like my job, I don't think I should immortalize my coworkers' antics. I know they don't read this blog, but they might find the other one (that I'm NOT going to do) and not think my version of the truth is all that funny.

With all the pirating and unauthorized digitalization of print books, I have thought if that is the case, I might as well post my book like an old time newspaper or magazine serial. But honestly, would that really hold anyone's interest? I suppose it might if we dissected it chapter-by-chapter, but who would want to do that?

There has been some fan fiction about the trilogy. I find it interesting, but with each change in the storyline, it causes future changes and sometimes multiple changes as a result and in the end takes Kathryn's story where I had not planned it to go. If I do a fourth book, Beyond Beaches, that storyline has to stay in tack. However, if you're inclined to write fan fiction, be my guest. I don't mind as long as you don't publish it.

Changing the storyline would be an exercise to try if you get stuck in your current work in progress (WIP), but me, I just toss out everything and start over. I'm certainly not possessed by such a fondness of my writings that I can't dispose of them and begin again.

What I'd like to do is move First Draft into talking about the behind-the-scene story of Cactus Rain Publishing. Would that interest anyone? Please comment.

5 comments:

  1. 1. Don't write about people who recognise themselves. I've been there and got into some trouble, admittedly from a couple who were completely dim morons and didn't have the intelligence to read my blog any way.
    2. In the past I've found the blogs you've written about 'how to' improve our writing skills etc, so I think 'how to' set up a publishers would be certainly interesting and who knows useful if we want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto Glyn. A few inspirational/butt kicking posts would be interesting...Oh you do all that anyway.
    Keep doing what you do, you do it so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glyn,
    No, I wouldn't write about anyone. That could get tricky.

    I'm not sure that I'd write "How to" set up a publishing company posts. There is so much that goes into the process. Some of it I've been doing for 10 years and probably would leave out a step or two. I might write about Cactus Rain, the philosophy, the mission, and the direction that makes sense to me. I would write about upcoming novels; the type of novels that fit with the company and those that wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glynis,

    You are the best inspiration. I do like to reinvent so that I don't get stuck in a rut and bore everyone silly. Besides we all grow and change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are well, Nadine. Sorry I haven't visited for a while. Time is rushing by.

    Your blog posts are always full of insights. A behind-the-scenes on Cactus Rain sounds very interesting.

    Bright wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete