Thursday, November 12, 2009

Characters You Love

Am I the only one tired of me writing about writing? Yawn.

Tell me about a fictional character you love, one that you sympathized with and found it easy to make the leap to believe they are/were real. What was it about them that makes them stand out in your mind, even now?

Indicate in the comment section below the title and author, the character's name, and a brief bit about what you like about them. It's your turn to do the writing and give us all a break from me.

If you don't want to entertain me and rather read more about how to write, read this (sent by Susan Gabriel). http://entertainingwelsey.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/how-to-write-a-novel/

4 comments:

  1. I love (hate) Kay Scarpetta in the novels by Patricia Cornwell. She has built Kay into a really complex character that you understand and empathise with, even if you don't like her! Having read a whole series you really get a chance to know the characters (and you do in your trilogy Nadine), and as she's written so many, you also see changes over time which such a long series allows.

    Perhaps that's cheating as we know these characters in Patricia's books through a long relationship (almost).

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mersault in Camus's L'Etranger.
    Simple he won't conform. He lives outside of society.
    I first read it when I was in my early teens and have read it many time since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn? :) She really is one of the most believable characters, I don't doubt there's a woman just like her out there. Also, I love Madame Ellen Olenska from The Age of Innocence. You got to love her for her spirit and sincerity in a society that "only asks one to pretend".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie Scarlett O'Hara - the manipulative, Ashely chasing vixen who turns into a scrappy, pull up your bootstraps heroine in the midst of the Civil War. I love her , I hate her, but at the end I'm always hoping Rhett will turn around and go back to her...

    ReplyDelete