Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Amazon (dot) com

Someone recently said to me, "I know you hate Amazon..." Well no, I don't hate Amazon.

Here's my take on Amazon. Of course, like anything else, it is just my opinion and I could be all wrong.

I think Amazon has some very creative and, in a way, genius people over there. A motivated MBA student would do well to spend time studying Amazon's business model.

I think they have positioned themselves as a leader (mover and shaker?) in the book industry. I like to read the trade industry news about Amazon. Sometimes I roll my eyes and think, well that is self-serving. You know what, that is exactly how most successful businesses are.

Good press or bad press, they are in the forefront of most writers' and publishers' trade thoughts. And they have earned that position rightfully. They are impersonal and automated, and that is a result of their size and what the internet community expects.

So, hate them -- no. Love them -- no. But only a Village Idiot wouldn't pay attention to what they are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment