Friday, May 1, 2009

Write Your Own Review Campaign

As we sat in a west valley coffee shop, Jerry Simmons reminded me that I break the rules in this publishing industry game. Honestly, I hadn't realized how often I do things my way, and how much worse (driven, focused) I am now that I'm totally Indie.

I've been at this gig for nine years now, so it isn't that I'm ignorant of the rules. It certainly isn't a masked (or outright) rebellion.

My focus is on my audience. I want to deliver a stellar performance to my readers with everything I do. It has been a long journey to get to this point, but I'm pleased-as-punch to be here now.

When it came time to put together the cover art for Storm Surge, I decided to replace the usual review quotes on the back with a white box for the reader to write their own review. Read that again. I put in a white space for the reader to write their own review of the book. (There is a screenshot of it in the current newsletter posted on my website.)

As soon as I had the proof book in hand, I tested the notion with a marker and was thrilled that it dried quickly and did NOT smear.

So the WRITE YOUR OWN REVIEW CAMPAIGN was born. With every purchase of Storm Surge comes a free Sharpie ultra fine tip marker. Check the prices on my books...Storm Surge lists at the same low price as the first two books in the trilogy. The marker really is FREE.

So there you go, you're in charge of the reviews. Betcha never saw that before. I know this isn't going to catch on with any other writer or publisher, but someone please cue the music for 'Ol Blue Eyes to sing My Way!

The story isn't complete until you listen to Frank Sinatra (here): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25TylDyQBY

Newsletter pdf, be patient while it loads: http://nadinelamanbooks.com/pdf/brag5-09.pdf

Jerry Simmons: http://www.writersreaders.com/

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most unique ideas--innovative and interactive--I've seen in a long time.

    Best,
    Carolyn Howard-Johnson
    Blogging at Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites pick, www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea.
    Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Carolyn,
    You know me, I really like to interact with readers. I can't wait to see what they think of this, my latest wild idea.
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda, nice to meet you. Coming from a cover artise, that is quite a complement. I hope this isn't a big flop!

    I went to your blog. It looks great. I want to follow you, but couldn't see how to do it. (I'm new at this blogging stuff.)

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea.

    How about asking readers to write their review, take a digital photo of it, and email it to you... to be displayed on your blog?!

    :-)

    All success
    Dr.Mani
    Author: "Think, Write & RETIRE!"
    http://ThinkWriteRetire.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a good idea too, Dr. Mani.

    I usually ask if I may post comments on my review page, after the comment is made, so it is unscripted. http://nadinelamanbooks.com/reviews.html I might have to add more pages for all the Storm Surge reviews. (LOL, not me, my web designer - can you imagine a dyslexic person writing web codes?)

    In the May newsletter, along with the screenshot of the back cover, I asked for the reviews, if people want to share them. I think I might have to try your idea of the pics, if you don't mind. That would be really fun, I think. Now you have me thinking...

    See the screenshot on the second page, in the "this is really cool" section. http://nadinelamanbooks.com/pdf/brag5-09.pdf

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, keep the ideas coming! These are great ideas!

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the three tenors do nice job with "my way" when they honor Frank.

    I know me best, I hopefully know readers best; My Way has got to be best.

    enjoy the freedom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Allan,

    Those first moments of freedom, you look up, eyes shielded from the sun, feeling the breeze - then it hits you that you ARE free. Wonderful thing.

    Here is the Three Tenors link. Frank really seemed to enjoy the tribute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMj4x_48GVc&feature=related

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete